Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Preparations!



I've been running around trying to get things in order for the trip. I wasn't able to get a steady job after graduation so I've been saving what I can from random family/temp jobs and internships. I want to get together as much as I can before hand so I can be as frugal as possible on this trip.
Thankfully, due to the hospitality of friends and farmers, we won't have to pay for much in terms of food or housing. It will mostly be gas, entertainment and camping expenses.

I've been practicing setting up our tent and using other random camping supplies so we don't look like total newbies when we're out there traveling. I've been making lists, unpacking and repacking our supplies, and practicing with the knives we were given so I don't slice myself when we're in the middle of the woods. I've got to waterproof the tent and my boots and practice using the tarp successfully and we'll be all set!
I already want to start sleeping in the tent.

My parents don't know it (yet) but I've been wandering around the yard weeding every once in a while [which is why the glass of water was by the garage, Dad], and I'm trying to help this little maple grow in the backyard. I don't know what happened to me that made me desperate to be outside and working with the earth, but I can't make myself slow down!

The picture above is me walking into a lavender labyrinth at a local organic farm in Riverhead, NY called Garden of Eve. Its a great spot to hang out, buy some organic veggies and eggs, and pick up vegetables and herbs to plant in a personal organic garden.

I'm feeling great about the spot I'm in now- I've never had an experience quite like this, so I'm anticipating only the best.

1 comment:

Sarah Schipper said...

I am looking forward to living vicariously through you and your blog. If you need anything let me know. Love you!!!