Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Busy bee

6AM: Woken by plane spraying pesticides.

6.15-7.30: breakfast, getting ready for work.

7.30-9: coffee and garden walk at Mona's

9-3: Prop up tomatoes, paint trellis and top of house red.

3-5: Wild rain storm, eat with Bob and Carol

5-7: Relax a little, fix screens in trailer.

7-now: read news, relax, plan for tomorrow.

By the end of today, I was wiped. I can't think straight enough to write a lot. I'm loving it here though. The people are so friendly and open, and they're extremely willing to tell us about their pasts and their current lifestyles. This is what I was looking for in a WWOOFing experience, it seems we have found wonderful mentors here.

Tomorrow we will be harvesting greens and some tomatoes and turnips for the CSA in Sheridan. We'll leave the house by 6:15 to make sure we have all of the veggies harvested, cleaned and bagged by 11. Then we should finish painting the house/trellis. My little bunk bed seems to be overly toasty, and I'm craving a brisk night.

The storm today was absolutely beautiful and unlike anything I've ever seen. The expansive terrain makes it easy to see the beginnings of a storm far off, and also facilitates strong winds. The storm came swooping over the hills with 30 mile an hour wind, strong rain and threat of hail, and bright and loud lightning.
We sat with Bob and Carol as they calculated whether the hail was going to hit the farm, and whether or not the storm was going to pass through quickly or stick around. We counted lighting along with them and listened to their stories about the terrible hail storm that ruined their entire crop last year.

I'm listening to this now, as I get ready for bed. I really love it here, and feel pleased to be here. Later this week we will go to Sheridan to Carol and Bob's "town" house, spend the night and hang about town.

Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B-h1EEsKDA

No comments: