Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Going home.

I'm in Las Vegas on a two hour layover. Everyone is telling me to gamble all my money away, and I'm not the least bit interested. Gambling to me is like being a little kid and all the big kids are playing tricks on you and your gullibility. Except this time when you lose your wallet hurts as much as your pride.

This weekend Andy showed me around Hermosa Beach, where a number of his friends live. We spent Saturday on the beach, walking the boardwalk and checking out the Hermosa Fiesta, which is a giant craft fair.

Sunday we went up to Santa Barbara to see Joanne and Nancy McNally, my mother's childhood friends and our close family friends. It was so nice to see them and their children. I haven't seen any of the kids since they were very young- its so interesting to see their faces and figure out their personalities now that they're teenagers.

We had dinner at Robert's restaurant in downtown Santa Barbara. I had frog legs. The food and wine were delicious. Afterwards we went to Jessica's place which is a set of trailers and campers on a ranch overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Andy, Joanne and Alex shared a Vanagon, and I slept in a sleeping bag outside under the stars. It felt so natural. I remember waking up in the middle of the night looking directly at the moon and thinking "wow, where am I? This is amazing." and quickly remembering. I felt so safe, and now that seems so strange.

The next day we walked to the top of a tall hill on the ranch, and climbed trees. We also stopped at an oranic farm right outside of Santa Barbara that has apprenticeships from April to October which is run by her friend. I'm considering applying for it. We hung out the rest of the day at Nancy and Robert's condo hanging out by the pool with everyone.

Yesterday I walked around Fullerton, CA. Its a college town with yoga studios, vintage shops and an array of bars and restaurants. Its a nice town, and Andy lives in the center of it so its within walking distance to almost everything.

The entire time I was in CA I had this strange feeling of living directly under a fluorescent light bulb. Or maybe in one. Sun is everywhere- there's no escape. Its practically blinding, and the lightly-painted architecture doesn't help. The trees are sparse and the landscape is an awful dried out sand color. I felt just like the grass, like I was slowly being zapped into an empty, flammable shell of cells.

It was really nice seeing Andy. The two of us fight the same as we did when we were kids, but it is nice to know that no matter what it isn't awkward.

I'm on my way home now. 9 hours total. 2 down, 7 more to go. Feels like 7 years.

I can't wait to sleep in my own bed and eat my own food and make my own coffee and snuggle with my dog and read my books. I can't wait to drive my car and be on my own schedule and apply to jobs that will become MY job. This trip has taught me to love adventures and how to be social even when it feels difficult- but I'm ready for some wonderfully antisocial alone time.





No comments: